Why Lail Comes Before Nahar In Surah Takwir? Allah, The wisest used to deliver us messages through the Holy Quran. He always sends us proof that He is the creator of the whole universe and proof that the Holy Quran is his revelation to the whole of Mankind.
In Surah Takwir ( Arabic:سورة التكوير ) written Surah At Takwir Allah mentioned Lail (Night) before Nahar (Morning) because before Allah created the sun in our galaxy (The Milky Way Galaxy), darkness was covering the whole earth so in our case, this darkness was considered night. After that Allah created the Sun to shine over the Earth and this was the first morning on earth. This means that it is a solid fact that the night came before morning in creation. Mentioning this fact in Surah Takwir is giving evidence that assures that Allah is the creator and the Quran is His word sent to people as the last revelation.
What is the meaning of At-Takwir?
Quran Surah Takwir is giving us a description of a scene from the scenes of Judgement Day which is the folding up of the Sun by saying “Eza Al-Shams Kowirat”, “إذا الشمس كورت”
“At-Takwir” (Arabic:التكوير), means “The Enfolding” in the Arabic language.
The complete meaning of this Verse “Eza Al-Shams Kowirat”, “إذا الشمس كورت” is: “When The Sun Is Being Folded Up (Wrapped Up in darkness)”. (mentioning that the Sun will be pleated and its light will go off like when you fold something within itself(as folding clothes for example), so everything will be covered by darkness after the enfolding of the sun.
Allah is identifying this fact as an important sign that will denote the happening of “The Resurrection Day”, among all other signs.
The importance of The Sun comes from its significant effect not only upon the Human Beings but also on all other creatures living on earth. Without “The Sun” there will be no life at all, so what shall people do when the sun enfolds?
Surah Takwir read online
Surah Takwir meaning
Every Surah in the Holy Quran always carries an important message to be delivered to the disbelievers and the infidels of Mecca, as well as the disbelievers who came after them in the following eras until the end of days.
The people of Mecca used to deny that Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) is a true prophet sent by Allah. They used to call him crazy, didn’t take his statements seriously, and were mocking him. Sometimes they called him a deluded by the devil
Through Surah Takweer, Allah was sending a warning to Prophet Muhammed’s enemies about Judgment Day and how horrible it will be so they might come back to their minds and believe in Prophet Muhammed as the true Messenger of Allah and take his message seriously.
The first message introduced at the beginning of Surah Al Takwir is displaying many signs of the Afterlife, introducing the great changes that will occur at the end of the World and the formation of the new World; The Judgement day and what follows.
The second message introduced in the middle of Surah At Takwir is showing that the Quranic Revelation is credible and legit. Also, it introduces the fact that the Quran was revealed by “Gabriel” the angel, with an outstanding enlightening effect on a human’s soul to guide and elevate his grade among all other creatures of Allah in life and the afterlife. After that Surah Takwir goes on to defend Prophet Muhammed from being called insane or being deluded by the devil.
At the end of Surah Takwir it mentions that the Holy Quran is Allah’s word to Mankind to remind them to be straightforward with good deeds, behave well and believe in Allah the true Allah of the whole universe.
Where was Surah Takwir revealed?
Muslim scholars used to study the structure of each surah to determine the place of revelation. There were two locations where the revelation descended from Allah by The Angel Gabriel to Prophet Muhammed (PBUH), which were Mecca and Madina.
Scholars had narrated that according to the structure of Surah E Takweer and its characteristics of composition and meanings it delivers, it was descended from Mecca.
When was Surah Takwir revealed?
We knew before that surahs are classified by place of revelation. The time of the revelation of every surah classifies it as well.
According to hard efforts done by Muslim scholars while they were studying from the sources left to us by Prophet Muhammed’s companions, they were able to identify the period of revelation At Takwir Surah. Surah At-Taquir according to many studies was revealed in the period from 610 to 616 AD. approximately, in the early ages of the prophecy in Mecca.
Why was Surah Takwir revealed?
Every surah in the Holy Quran holds a message to deliver within. In the early age of the prophethood, many surahs were introduced to remind people of Mecca with the end of days as well as the whole of mankind so they may correct their wrong paths and turn back to Allah.
Surah Takwir is dealing with three major issues it was revealed for:
● First one: An introduction of a scene from the scenes of The End Of Days.
● Second one: The Holy Quran is delivered to Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) by “Gabriel” the angel, and the fact that Prophet Muhammed is not insane nor deluded by the devil (Ash Shaytan).
● Third one: The Holy Quran is Allah’s message to the whole of mankind as well as the people of Mecca.
Is Surah Al Takwir makki or madani?
Yes,Surah Takwir is a Makki.
Surah Taqwir (Arabic: التكوير), (English: The Enfolding) which means “the sun will be wrapped in darkness”, is the Eighty-First Chapter (Surah) of the Holy Quran with 29 Verses (Ayat) and 104 words.
Surah At-Takwir tafseer
Ibn Kathir was one of the greatest Quran interpreters. He used to introduce the simplest meanings of the Quran so Muslims can understand it easily.
In this passage we will display his interpretation of Surah Takweer Verse by Verse:
In The Name Of Allah The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful.
إِذَا ٱلشَّمۡسُ كُوِّرَتۡ 1
(1) When the sun is wrapped up (in darkness).
“This means it will be darkened. Ibn Abbas said; “It will go away.” Qatadah said; “Its light will go away.”
وَإِذَا ٱلنُّجُومُ ٱنكَدَرَتۡ 2
(2) And when the stars fall, disperse. “Meaning: when they are scattered.”
وَإِذَا ٱلۡجِبَالُ سُيِّرَتۡ 3
(3) And when the mountains are removed. “Meaning: they will not remain in their places and they will be destroyed. Then the earth will be left as a flat.”
وَإِذَا ٱلۡعِشَارُ عُطِّلَتۡ 4
(4) And when the pregnant camels are neglected.”Meaning: Their owners will neglect them, as people will be too busy to tend to them, take care of, or benefit from them.”
وَإِذَا ٱلۡوُحُوشُ حُشِرَتۡ 5
(5) And when the wild beasts are gathered. “Meaning: Wild beasts will be gathered together.”
وَإِذَا ٱلۡبِحَارُ سُجِّرَتۡ 6
(6) And when the seas are filled with flame. “Meaning: When the seas will become a blazing fire.”
وَإِذَا ٱلنُّفُوسُ زُوِّجَتۡ 7
(7) And when the souls are paired. (Means that souls with the same characteristics are gathered together “i.e, with their soul mates.”).
وَإِذَا ٱلۡمَوۡءُۥدَةُ سُئِلَتۡ 8
(8) And when the girl (who was) buried alive is asked, “Meaning: the infant girl that her father buried her alive, will be questioned,”
بِأَيِّ ذَنۢبٖ قُتِلَتۡ 9
(9) For what sin she was killed. “Meaning: For what sin she was murdered for, as the disbelievers of Quraish used to bury their own infant daughters because at this time they were thinking that having a baby girl is a great shame.”
وَإِذَا ٱلصُّحُفُ نُشِرَتۡ 10
(10) And when the pages are spread (i.e., made public). (Means that the records of all the human beings are displayed in public). “Every person will be given his paper in his right hand or in his left hand after being laid open.”
وَإِذَا ٱلسَّمَآءُ كُشِطَتۡ 11
(11) And when the sky is stripped away. “Meaning: The Sky drew away.”
وَإِذَا ٱلۡجَحِيمُ سُعِّرَتۡ 12
(12) And when Hellfire is set ablaze. “Meaning: The Hell will be heated until it will be extremely hot.”
وَإِذَا ٱلۡجَنَّةُ أُزۡلِفَتۡ 13
(13) And when Paradise is brought near. “ Meaning that the paradise will come close to its inhabitants or believers so they will observe it with their eyes.”
عَلِمَتۡ نَفۡسٞ مَّآ أَحۡضَرَتۡ 14
(14) A soul will then know what it has brought with it. “Meaning: at the time these matters occur, every soul will know what it has done, and that will be brought forth for it.”
فَلَآ أُقۡسِمُ بِٱلۡخُنَّسِ 15
(15) So I swear by the retreating stars, “Meaning: Allah is swearing by the stars that withdraw (disappearing) during the day.”
ٱلۡجَوَارِ ٱلۡكُنَّسِ 16
(16) Those that run (their courses) and disappear (i.e., set). “Allah continues his oath by describing the courses of these stars and that they (appear) sweeping across the sky during the night.”
وَٱلَّيۡلِ إِذَا عَسۡعَسَ 17
(17) And by the night as it closes in. “There are two opinions about this statement. ‘One of them is that this refers to its advancing with its darkness.’ The second opinion is ‘When it covers the people.’”
وَٱلصُّبۡحِ إِذَا تَنَفَّسَ 18
(18) And by dawn when it breathes (i.e., stirs). “Meaning: ‘When it rises.’, also; ‘When it brightens and advances.’”
إِنَّهُۥ لَقَوۡلُ رَسُولٖ كَرِيمٖ 19
(19) That indeed, it (i.eThe Quran) is a word (conveyed by) a noble messenger (i.e, Gabriel).
“Meaning; indeed this Qur’an is being conveyed by a noble messenger, which is referring to an honorable angel, who has good character and a radiant appearance, pointing to Gabriel the angel.”
ذِي قُوَّةٍ عِندَ ذِي ٱلۡعَرۡشِ مَكِينٖ 20
(20) (Who is) possessed of power and with the Owner of the Throne (Allah), secure (in position).
“Meaning, he (i.e, Gabriel) has high status and lofty rank with Allah.”
مُّطَاعٖ ثَمَّ أَمِينٖ 21
(21) Obeyed there (in the heavens) and trustworthy.
“This means in the heavens. He is not one of the lower-ranking (ordinary) angels. Rather he is from the high-ranking, prestigious angels. He is respected and has been chosen for (the delivery of) this magnificent Message, and he is trustworthy.”
وَمَا صَاحِبُكُم بِمَجۡنُونٖ 22
(22) And your companion (i.e., Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)) is not (at all) mad. “ A negation that Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is not insane like what was said by infidels of Mecca.”
وَلَقَدۡ رَءَاهُ بِٱلۡأُفُقِ ٱلۡمُبِينِ 23
(23) And he has already seen him (i.e, Gabriel) on the clear horizon. “Meaning: indeed Muhammad saw Gabriel, who brought him the Message from Allah, in the form that Allah created him in (i.e., his true form), having six hundred wings.”
وَمَا هُوَ عَلَى ٱلۡغَيۡبِ بِضَنِينٖ 24
(24) And he (i.e., Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)) is not a withholder of (knowledge of) the unseen. “Meaning: Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is not following false conjecture about what Allah revealed.”
وَمَا هُوَ بِقَوۡلِ شَيۡطَٰنٖ رَّجِيمٖ 25
(25) And it (i.e., the Quran) is not the word of a devil, expelled (from the heavens). “Meaning: this Quran is not the statement of an outcast devil (Shaytan), and Prophet Muhammed was delivering the word of Allah exactly just like he had been told to do.”
فَأَيۡنَ تَذۡهَبُونَ 26
(26) So where are you going? “Meaning; Where has your reason gone, in rejecting this Quran, while it is manifest, clear, and evident that it is the truth from Allah.”
إِنۡ هُوَ إِلَّا ذِكۡرٞ لِّلۡعَٰلَمِينَ 27
(27) It is not but a reminder to the world. “Meaning; this Quran is a reminder for all of mankind. They are reminded by it and receive admonition from it.”
لِمَن شَآءَ مِنكُمۡ أَن يَسۡتَقِيمَ 28
(28) For whoever wills among you to take the right course. “Meaning; whoever seeks guidance, then he must adhere to this Quran, for verily it is his salvation and guidance. There is no guidance other than that.”
وَمَا تَشَآءُونَ إِلَّآ أَن يَشَآءَ ٱللَّهُ رَبُّ ٱلۡعَٰلَمِينَ 29
(29) And your will is only inclined by Allah’s will – The Lord of the worlds.“Meaning; you cannot unless (it be) that Allah wills the Lord of all that exists.”
Hadith on Surah Al Takwir
Prophet Muhammed (Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him), used to make recommendations to his companions to follow.
Some of these recommendations were about reciting the Holy Quran.
Among these, he recommended reciting Surah Al Takwir in one of his Hadith.
Imam Ahmad recorded from Ibn Umar that the Messenger of Allah said:
“Whoever wishes to look at the Day of Resurrection, as if he is seeing it with his eyes, then let him recite:
‘When the sun is wrapped up in darkness’(Surah At Takwir), ‘When the heaven is cleft sunder (Surah Al Infitar), and ‘When the heaven is split asunder. (Surah Al Inshiqaq)’”.
1-Jami at-Tirmidhi Grade: Hasan (Darussalam)
English reference: Vol. 5, Book 44, Hadith 3333
Arabic reference: Book 47, Hadith 3653.
2-This is mentioned in Tafsir ibn Kathir, Likewise, At-Tirmidhi has also recorded this Hadith.
3-Jami at-Tirmidhi, Tafsir: 81- Ahmad: 2/27, 36,100-5/452.
Also, It was narrated that: Umar ibn Horayth said:
“I heard the Prophet (PBUH) reciting: ‘When the sun is folded up.’ in fajr prayer”. (surah taqwir (81:1)).
Sunan an-Nasai 951 In-book reference: Book 11, Hadith 76 English translation: Vol. 2, Book 11, Hadith 952.
Surah Takwir benefits
Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) mentioned many benefits of reciting the Holy Quran, and surah Taqwir has also special benefits for reciting it:
1. Reciting At Takwir Surah reminds you of Judgement Day as if you see it in front of your eyes.
2. It urges you to behave well in your life for the fear of Allah and longing for his mercy.
3. It informs you that the Quran and the revelation are delivered to Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) by the honored angel Gabriel.
4. Al Takwir Surah assures you that Prophet Muhammed is neither a mad man nor deluded by the devil (Shaytan).
5. It informs you that everything that happens in the whole universe is only depending on Allah’s will and decision.
6. Reciting The Holy Quran heals your soul and gives you inner peace.
7. The Quran Answers all questions about life and the afterlife that occupy your mind.
8. You will be rewarded 10 times and more for every letter you read, then Get closer to Allah and be beloved by Him.
9. The more Quran you learn, the higher rank you get.
10. The Quran will be an intercessor for his companion in the afterlife and will prevent him from being punished and getting rewarded.
11. Doesn’t matter if you are an expert in reciting or not, you will be rewarded anyway even if you stutter while reading.
Download Surah At Takwir
Surah Al Takwir in English
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
1. When the sun shall be wound around,
2. And when the stars shall dart down,
3. And when the mountains shall be made to pass away,
4. And when the she-camels big with young shall be abandoned,
5. And when the wild beasts shall be gathered together,
6. And when the seas shall be filled,
7. And when the souls he paired,
8. And when the girl buried alive shall be asked:
9. For what sin she was slain.
10. And when the Writs shall be lain open,
11. And when the heaven shall be stripped,
12. And when the Scorch shall be made to blaze,
13. And when the Garden shall be brought nigh,
14. Then every soul shall know that which it: hath presented.
15. I swear by the receding stars.
16. Moving swiftly and hiding,
17. And by the night when it departeth,
18. And by the morning when it shineth forth,
19. Verily it is a Word brought by a messenger honored,
20. Owner of strength, of established dignity with the Lord of the Throne.
21. Obeyed one there; trustWorthy.
22. Nor is your companion distracted.
23. Assuredly he beheld him in the horizon manifest.
24. And he is of the unseen, not a tenacious concealer.
25. Nor is it the word of a Satan accursed.
26. Whither then goes ye?
27. This is naught but an Admonition Unto the worlds-
28. Unto whomsoever of you willeth to walk straight.
29. And ye shall not will unless it be that Allah, the Lord of the worlds, willeth.
Surah Takwir roman English
Bismillaahir Rahmaanir Raheem
- Izash shamsu kuwwirat
- Wa izan nujoomun kadarat
- Wa izal jibaalu suyyirat
- Wa izal ‘ishaaru ‘uttilat
- Wa izal wuhooshu hushirat
- Wa izal bihaaru sujjirat
- Wa izan nufoosu zuwwijat
- Wa izal maw’oodatu su’ilat
- Bi ayyi zambin qutilat
- Wa izas suhufu nushirat
- Wa izas samaaa’u kushitat
- Wa izal jaheemu su’-‘irat
- Wa izal jannatu uzlifat
- ‘Alimat nafsum maaa ahdarat
- Falaaa uqsimu bil khunnas
- Al jawaaril kunnas
- Wallaili izaa ‘as’as
- Wassubhi izaa tanaffas
- Innahoo laqawlu rasoolin kareem
- Zee quwwatin ‘inda zil ‘arshi makeen
- Mutaa’in samma ameen
- Wa maa saahibukum bimajnoon
- Wa laqad ra aahu bilufuqil mubeen
- Wa maa huwa ‘alal ghaibi bidaneen
- Wa maa huwa biqawli shaitaanir rajeem
- Fa ayna tazhaboon
- In huwa illaa zikrul lil’aalameen
- Liman shaaa’a minkum ai yastaqeem
- Wa maa tashaaa’oona illaaa ai yashaaa ‘al laahu Rabbul ‘Aalameen
Surah Takwir in Arabic
1. إِذَا الشَّمْسُ كُوِّرَتْ
2. وَإِذَا النُّجُومُ انْكَدَرَتْ
3. وَإِذَا الْجِبَالُ سُيِّرَتْ
4. وَإِذَا الْعِشَارُ عُطِّلَتْ
5. وَإِذَا الْوُحُوشُ حُشِرَتْ
6. وَإِذَا الْبِحَارُ سُجِّرَتْ
7. وَإِذَا النُّفُوسُ زُوِّجَتْ
8. وَإِذَا الْمَوْءُودَةُ سُئِلَتْ
9. بِأَيِّ ذَنْبٍ قُتِلَتْ
10. وَإِذَا الصُّحُفُ نُشِرَتْ
11. وَإِذَا السَّمَاءُ كُشِطَتْ
12. وَإِذَا الْجَحِيمُ سُعِّرَتْ
13. وَإِذَا الْجَنَّةُ أُزْلِفَتْ
14. عَلِمَتْ نَفْسٌ مَا أَحْضَرَتْ
15. فَلَا أُقْسِمُ بِالْخُنَّسِ
16. الْجَوَارِ الْكُنَّسِ
17. وَاللَّيْلِ إِذَا عَسْعَسَ
18. وَالصُّبْحِ إِذَا تَنَفَّسَ
19. إِنَّهُ لَقَوْلُ رَسُولٍ كَرِيمٍ
20. ذِي قُوَّةٍ عِنْدَ ذِي الْعَرْشِ مَكِينٍ
21. مُطَاعٍ ثَمَّ أَمِينٍ
22. وَمَا صَاحِبُكُمْ بِمَجْنُونٍ
23. وَلَقَدْ رَآهُ بِالْأُفُقِ الْمُبِينِ
24. وَمَا هُوَ عَلَى الْغَيْبِ بِضَنِينٍ
25. وَمَا هُوَ بِقَوْلِ شَيْطَانٍ رَجِيمٍ
26. فَأَيْنَ تَذْهَبُونَ
27. إِنْ هُوَ إِلَّا ذِكْرٌ لِلْعَالَمِينَ
28. لِمَنْ شَاءَ مِنْكُمْ أَنْ يَسْتَقِيمَ
29. وَمَا تَشَاءُونَ إِلَّا أَنْ يَشَاءَ اللَّهُ رَبُّ الْعَالَمِينَ
Memorize Surah At-Takwir
Memorizing surah at takwir is not difficult, but you have to follow a strategy for how to memorize it and teach it to your children as follows:
1- At home
- You have to read and memorize Surah Takwir part by part and review what was saved before entering the new part.
- Practice makes perfect, you have to record what has been memorized and listen to surah taqwir four times a day.
- Listen to at takwir surah from a reader who loves you and enjoys reciting surah taqwir.
- Have your family join you in memorizing surah at takwir.
- Select the part to be memorized and read while performing the five daily prayers to make it easier to repeat and memorize.
2- At the mosque
- You have to know the rules of intonation and the correct pronunciation of the verses of surah e takweer, this facilitates the memorization and correct recitation without mistakes.
- Participate in the memorization sessions in the mosque and the dhikr and interpretation sessions.
- Reading and memorizing the Quran after Fajr prayer is one of the best times in which the rate of concentration and memorization increases.
- The memorization of the surah was based on one copy of the Quran and focused on the use of visual memory, as it is one of the high strategies in improving the skill of memorization and learning.
3- on online platforms
- It is possible to participate in collective memorization sessions via communication platforms, it stimulates the spirit of competition such as WhatsApp, telegram, and Facebook.
- Listen to the best readers on YouTube and write your feedback.
- Rely on writing what was memorized for confirmation.
- You can use Hader’s method for excellent revision.
- Review what was saved yesterday before starting the new parts.
Do you want your kids to learn more about Online Quran Classes? Sign up for Quran Oasis’s Online Quran Classes program and watch them dive deeper into the Quran science and learn the Holy Book of Allah.
Online Quran tuition learning can be challenging if you’re seeking it for your kids. Quran Oasis offers you a wide variety of topics to teach your children online.
Whether it’s Quran online, Arabic online, Tajweed, Ijazah, tafsir, Qirat, tajwid al Quran, and Islamic Studies. Quran Oasis has your back with professional Quran tutors who are willing to go further with your kids’ education. With an attractive interface and well-structured lessons,
Surah Takwir summary
“Surah E Takweer” takes its name from verse 1:
(When the sun is wrapped up) conveying the meaning of “When The Enfolding” appears.
At Takwir Surah was revealed in Mecca, most likely during the early days of Prophet Muhammad’s proclamation of his Prophecy.
The main Surah At-Takwir message is the Hereafter and the institution of Prophethood.
At-Takwir narrates the end of the world in a very convincing manner; it conveys to us some of the scenes of Judgement day, where All the creatures, forces of nature as well as human power will come to an end.
All these meanings are summed up in surah taqwir as follows:
● Verses 1-14: The horrible signs of the resurrection day.
● Verses 15-25: Oaths that the Quran is the word of Allah, and that Muhammad is neither a madman nor deluded by the devil.
● Verses 26-29: The Holy Quran is a reminder sent to Mankind.