- When you remember Taraweeh, you feel spirituality with it and it brings joy to your heart because it is linked to a great month for Muslims.
- Ramadan month is sacred to Muslims and it is the month of mercy and forgiveness and closer to Allah through obedience and worship.
- The most important things that distinguish this month are -fasting
- Muslims consider salat Taraweeh as a cornerstone in the month of Ramadan in which the servant draws close to Allah and his nabi Muhammad.
- Nabi Muhammad, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, was the first person to perform this prayer.
So, come with me, to know about this prayer, and everything that comes to your mind from asking about it, you will find the answer in this article.
What is tarawih prayer?
Tarawih prayer is a prayer on Ramadan night after salat al Asha, The first person to perform this prayer was the Messenger, may Allah’s prayers and peace be upon him, and he used to pray it in the congregation, then he stopped gathering over it, for he was afraid that it would be imposed on the nation as an obligation in Ramadan, as mentioned by the Mother of the Believers, Lady Aisha, may Allah be pleased with her in Sahih al-Bukhari.
And the Muslims continued to pray it after the death of the Messenger, but each of them used to deliver it individually until Omar Ibn Al-Khattab gathered them to pray behind one front. Narrated by Al-Bukhari in his Sahih on the authority of Abd al-Rahman ibn Abd al-Qari “He said: I went out with Omar Ibn Al-Khattab, may Allah be pleased with him, in Ramadan to the mosque, and if the people were divided into many As separate groups, the man prays for himself, and the man prays with his prayer, the group of men. Then I went out with him another night and the people were praying with the prayer of their reciter. Omar said: Yes, this heresy, which they sleep about, is better than the one they get up – he wants at the end of the night – and people used to get up first.
Saeed bin Mansour narrated in his Sunan that Umar, may Allah be pleased with him, gathered the people to Ubay bin Ka’b, so he used to pray with the men, and Tamim Al-Dari used to pray with the women.
You can ask about what Taraweeh means as follows
Tarawih is derived from the Arabic word meaning”to rest and relax, It is the prayer that is prayed in the congregation on the nights of Ramadan, and Taraweeh is the plural of Tarawih, and Tarawih is called that because they were the first to gather on it, resting between every two salutations, as Al-Hafiz Ibn Hajar said, and it is also known as the Qiyam of Ramadan.
Tarawih is called in the language of the Arabs, originally on the session at all, so they rest after four rakats because they could not bear the length of the Taraweeh prayer and preferred to occupy it with silence, prayer or glorification and reading the Noble Quran.
The reason for the name is also due to what the Muslims used to do while performing it in the honorable Mecca, as they used to perform four rakats, then take a rest, then circumambulate the honorable heels, then perform another four rak’ahs, then circumambulate again.
How to perform tarawih?
Tarawih rakaat is prayed two rak’ahs, then the worshiper gives the salaam, and he prays two rak’ahs and gives the salutation until he reaches eight rak’ahs, and salat al tarawih is according to what the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said: “The night prayer is two by two, and if you see that the morning prayer overtakes you, then pray one witr. It was said to Ibn Umar: What is Muthana Muthana? He said: to say the salaam in every two rak’ahs.
Method of prayer:
- One of the most important things in prayer is the intention in the heart, and facing the qiblah, then the Muslim raises his hands towards his ears, and says the takbeer.
- Then the worshiper reads the opening supplication, then reads Surat Al-Fatihah, and after completing Al-Fatihah, the worshiper reads whatever is available from the Holy Qur’an.
- Then the worshiper kneels and says in his bowing: “subhan rabbi eleazim” three times, and then rises from the bowing and says “Allah hears those who praise.”
- Then the worshiper prostrates on his seven limbs, which are: the hands, the feet, the knees, and the face, and he says in his prostration “subhan rabbi al alaa” three times.
- Then the worshiper rises from prostration and says while sitting: “Allah forgive me,” and then prostrates again and says “subhana rabbi al alaa” three times.
- then rises from prostration to perform the second rak’as and the worshiper stands in the second rak’ah without saying the opening supplication, and repeats what he did in the first rak’ah, and at the end of the second rak’ah, the worshiper sits in humility and serenity and says the tashahhud, which is “Greetings to Allah, prayers and good things. Peace be upon you, O Prophet, and Allah’s mercy and blessings. Peace be upon us and the righteous servants of Allah. I bear witness that there is no Allah but Allah, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and His Messenger O Allah, bless Muhammad and the family of Muhammad as you prayed to Abraham and the family of Abraham, and bless Muhammad and the family of Muhammad as you blessed Abraham and the family of Abraham, in the worlds that you are hamid majid.”.”Then the worshiper performs the salutation on the right and on the left, saying, “Peace be upon you, and the mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you.”
- Then he intends and prays two more rak’ahs as he did in the first two rak’ahs, then after the 4 rak’ahs he sits down to rest the worshiper and the imam delivers a simple sermon to the worshipers and then completes his prayer.
- Then he intends and prays two rak’ahs and does the same as he did in the first four rak’ahs.
- Then he intends and prays two more rak’ahs and does as he did in the first 6 rak’ahs until he finishes the eighth rak’ahs, then sits down to rest a little and remember Allah.
- Then he prays three rak’ahs (salat shafi and witr) divided into two rak’ahs and one rak’ah.
- Then he prays two rak’ahs as he did and completes the third rak’ah and after the ruku’, the imam makes a supplication, and there is no specific supplication for salat al tarawih.
We don’t have a specific formula for dua in Taraweeh prayer, but it is desirable to supplicate and strive hard in it.
Some of Taraweeh du-a are recommended: “O Allah, I ask You for all good, its immediate and long term, what I know from it and what I do not know, and I seek refuge in You from all evil, its immediate and long term, what I know from it and what I do not know, and I ask You for Paradise and what is close to it from saying or action, and I seek refuge in You.” from the Fire and whatever comes close to it in words or actions.” The Taraweeh prayer is brief, O Allah, guide us with those whom you have guided, and help us with those whom you have recovered, take care of those whom you have taken over, bless us with what you have given, protect us, and turn away from us the evil of what you have spent.
How many rakat is salat tarawih?
The jurists differed in the number of tarawih rakaat, and they are as follows:
- The majority of jurists from the Hanafi, Shafi’i, and Hanbali schools are of the view that the number of tarawih rakaat is twenty. Imam Tarawih prayer Witr.
- The Malikis: The Malikis are of the view that the number of tarawih rakaat is thirty-nine, resting between every four rak’ahs, of which nine times; It is thirty-six units of prayer, and they complete it with three units of witr.
- It was proven on the authority of Aisha – may Allah be pleased with her – that the Prophet, may Allah’s prayers and peace be upon him, prayed eleven rak’ahs with the Witr. Abu Salamah asked Aisha: (How was the prayer of the Rasool Allah, may Allah prayers and peace be upon him, in Ramadan? In addition, he should perform eleven rak’ahs, he prays four and does not ask about their beauty and length, then he prays four, and he does not skip them, then he prays four, and he does not skip them).
What time is tarawih?
Salat al tarawih begins from the first moon-sighted evening (start) to the second evening(last day of Ramadan).
Tarawih prayer time extends from after the Isha prayer until the Fajr prayer, and it is preferable to take it after the Isha prayer and end with the Witr prayer.
How do you pray Taraweeh for kids?
The family plays an important role in teaching their children how taraweeh for kids to pray salat al tarawih, and they have to be patient with them and not to abuse them or pressure them in it.
Salat al Taraweeh is hard on the old, so how will it be on the little one, as follows:
- So the father and mother begin to teach their children the correct way of prayer from a young age for their children.
- And introduce them to its virtues and perform it in front of them and with them until they love Tarawih and accept it.
- Then accompany them He goes to the mosque with them and does not pressure them to perform it all.
- So he begins with two rakats, then four and so on so that he does not find any hardship for him, and his performance becomes based on love stemming from within him and not for the sake of pleasing his parents.
Do you want your kids to learn more about Online Islamic studies Classes? Sign up for Quran Oasis’s Online Islamic studies Classes program and watch them dive deeper into the Quran science and learn the Holy Book of Allah.
Online Quran tuition learning can be challenging if you’re seeking it for your kids. Quran Oasis offers you a wide variety of topics to teach your children online.
Whether it’s Quran online, Arabic online, Tajweed, Ijazah, tafsir, Qirat, tajwid al Quran, and Islamic Studies. Quran Oasis has your back with professional Quran tutors who are willing to go further with your kids’ education. With an attractive interface and well-structured lessons,
Is tarawih sunnah?
Yes, Tarawih is a confirmed Sunnah muakadah of the Messenger, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and is not an obligation.
Can you pray tarawih prayers listening to a recorded Quran?
No, you can’t do that because it is not permissible to pray behind the recorded Quran, because the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said: “In prayer, there is a distraction.” Agreed upon, and the worshiper is commanded to reflect on what he is reading, bring his heart during recitation, and strive to attain humility as much as possible.
The Prophet, may Allah’s prayers and peace be upon him, said: “In prayer, there is a distraction.” Agreed upon, and the worshiper is enjoined to reflect on what he recites, to bring his heart during the recitation, and to strive to attain reverence as much as possible. There is no doubt that repeating the recitation behind the recorder contradicts this purpose. The invalidity of the prayer of the worshiper if someone who is not with him in prayer opens it to him.
- Allah loves that Muslims are close to him during the prayer. We have many spiritual and physical benefits of Tarawih prayers:
Benefit of tarawih
- Improve physical and emotional health by gentle up and down movement, including sajdah and ruku.
- Restore muscle strength in an aged person, as people get older, their physical exercise decreases, which results in thinning of their bones.
- The repeated movements during Taraweeh prayers improve joint flexibility, muscle strength, and tendon power.
- So, salat al tarawih improves stamina, self-confidence, and self-respect of the elderly people in being self-sustaining.
- Another advantage of Taraweeh is to encourage visiting the mosque to offer this special prayer more often in the congregation.
- Salat al tarawih gets all Muslims together from different walks of life in one place.
- Taraweeh’s prayer also brings unity among Muslims all over the world.
- Practicing the act of offering this special prayer for the entire month of Ramadan strengthens the Muslim faith and encourages Muslims to do what pleases Allah Almighty and what makes Him happy.
- Taraweeh prayer makes us worship more which in turn provides a peaceful sleep.
- This special prayer not only brings us closer to Allah Almighty but also provides us a chance to do some physical activity which keeps us from eating much and staying healthy and fit.
- Salat al tarawih also improves the memory with the continuous recitation of the verses from the Holy Quran, screening the mind from inbound thoughts.
- As regular movements during the Taraweeh are a form of exercise, they help burn down calories.
- A balanced meal at Suhoor and Iftar followed by Taraweeh prayers can help a person reduce weight
Tarawih is a prayer that teaches us patience, and the Muslim must perform it with all his calmness and with all his limbs and his heart is present in his prayer and his mind is not preoccupied with anything else until his prayers are accepted, his good deeds increase and he draws closer to Allah and his paradise.
And you should know well that it is one of the beloved prayers of Allah and His Messenger and among the distinguished prayers of the month of Ramadan, which is a month in which all blessings and goodness, and it is the month of forgiveness and mercy.
Tarawih prayers help to forgive sins, draw closer to Allah and increase the relationship between the Muslim and Allah.