Learn how to read Quran correctly is essential for every Muslim. Allah (SWT) commanded us to read the Quran in its original language, the Arabic language.
Reading Quran in a wrong way could lead to distortion or detraction understanding of the meanings of the Quranic verses. Thus, we may wrongfully interpret the message and guidance that Allah (SWT) sent us in the Holy Quran.
What is meant by the correct reading of the Quran is to pronounce each letter of the Qur’an perfectly. This can be achieved by showing the qualities and articulation of the letter that distinguish each letter from others.
In other words, learning how to read Quran correctly is the mastery in taking words out of the mouth in their most beautiful form and being careful to slow down while reading, far from haste. In this regard, Allah (SWT) said:
Or add to it, and recite the Qur’an with measured recitation.The Holy Quran [73:4]
Also, It was mentioned in the Prophet’s Sunnah the merit of correct and beautiful Quran reading. When the prophet Muhammad listened to the Abu Musa al-Ash‘ari (may Allah be pleased with him), he said:
You have been endowed with one of the melodious voices of the family of Dawūd.Hadith [Sahih Al-Bukhari and Muslim]
Sign up for our newsletter
Get the latest offers, articles, and courses delivered to your inbox.
Learning Arabic for Quran Reading
The Arabic language has great importance in Islam; Allah (SWT) chose it from among the world’s languages to be the language of the Quran.
Learning Arabic has a critical impact on learning Quran in so many ways, such as:
- The Arabic language facilitates the process of learning, pronouncing, and reading the Quran and the noble hadiths as well.
- Learning Arabic provides a correct understanding of what is mentioned in the Quran & Hadith of the verses, words, structures, rulings, and laws.
- It helps us understand the meanings and intentions of the literary aspects mentioned in the Holy Quran, by understanding the secrets that lie in the depths of the Arabic language.
- The Arabic language is distinguished by the fact that it has not changed or distorted in fourteen centuries; it’s the origin of Islamic and Arab culture.
Characteristics of Arabic Language
The Arabic language is characterized by a set of characteristics that distinguish it from other languages, the most important of which are:
- Distribution of Articulation – It is characterized by the distribution of articulation from the lips to the extremities of the throat; As these articulations are numerous and varied, taking into account the coordination and balance between the sounds of the letters in one word.
- Derivation – The Arabic language enables us to derive words with a certain amount of meaning from one origin. Which saves effort, and saves time for the learner.
- Punctuation & Vowels – They are the only way to pronounce Arabic words and sentences in their correct intended form, contextual variation is caused by the tashkil⟨تشكيل⟩, harakat ⟨حركات⟩, i’jam ⟨اعجام⟩ supplementary diacritics so the speaker’s input is crucial to meet the relevancy of the intended context.
- Highly-Inflectional Language – Arabic is collapsed into just one word due to the abundance of prefixes, suffixes, pronouns. As a matter of fact, Arabic allows up to three consecutive prepositions to precede a word, e.g. the word ‘’وبالوالدين (and with the parents) contains three prefixes: ‘,’ب ‘’و and ‘.’ال
Importance of Learning to Read The Quran Correctly
Ibn Mas’ud narrated:
The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) taught me tashahhud taking my hand within his palms, in the same way as he taught me a Sura of the Qur’an, and he narrated it as narrated above.Hadith [Sahih Muslim 402 e]
The Quran recitation and Tajweed consider as a measure of the beauty and accuracy of reading between good and bad reading, which are the correct reading, for the Messenger (P.B.U.H), taught Al sahabah the letters of the Qur’an and vowels letters when reciting the Qur’an, so you have to learn Qur’an recitation.
Leading People in prayer who the best reader of the Quran. The Prophet (P.B.U.H) made the correct reading of the Qur’an a measure of the preference for the imamate in prayer.
Gaining skill in reading the Qur’an is one of the reasons for attaining a high position in Islam, as it has been proven in the Sahih of what Imam Muslim made in his Sahih on the authority of the Mother of the Believers Aisha that the Prophet (P.B.U.H) said:
The one who is proficient in the recitation of the Qur’an will be with the honourable and obedient scribes (angels) and he who recites the Qur’an and finds it difficult to recite, doing his best to recite it in the best way possible, will have two rewards.Hadith [Riyad as-Salihin 994]
How to Learn Quran Reading?
There are many ways to learn to read the Quran. But the best ones are those based on learning from a teacher who is specialized in reading the Qur’an in Arabic. It’s the ideal way to learn how to read the Qur’an for beginners.
Accordingly, if you are an absolute beginner, do not try to learn Quran reading & recitation on your own without supervision, otherwise, you will not be spared from the error.
The idea is that Quran teachers learned the holy Quran from their predecessors, and the previous ones learned from their predecessors, and so on up to the first teacher, Muhammad (PBUH), who received it from the Angel Gabriel (peace be upon him) who was sent by Allah (SWT). So, Quran tutors are considered the best source to get Quranic education.
The one who looks into the science of Tajweed Qur’an realizes the truth of that knowledge. It’s only taken from the mouths of Sheikhs and readers who are distinguished by mastery in reading, setting rulings, and articulation. Accordingly, The learner can only obtain this knowledge from a qualified Quran teacher.
Best Quran Learning Methods
- Quran Reading Course in a Near Mosque/Islamic Center – Receive the Quranic knowledge directly from scholars specialized in reading the Qur’an by registering in Quran reading courses held in mosques and Islamic centers.
- Listen to Recorded Quran Recitations – Listening to the Quran a lot from good Imams or listening to tapes of the Quran with tracking their reading on the Quran, in order to learn ways to read the Quran.
- Watching Quran Recitation Lessons – You can Quran reading lessons on TV, radio, or the Internet (YouTube), and try to self-implement and take into account the alerts that are shown and repeat what you hear verses recited in front of you.
- Quran Learning Websites – You can learn Quran online at an online Quran school/institute with professional Quran teachers through virtual sessions using the new telecommunications technology.
Learn to Read Qur’an Online
Learn Quran Reading Online is one of the best ways for those who don’t find a near Islamic center. You or your kids can learn to read Quran without going to faraway places. All you have to do is surf the Internet and search for online Quran reading classes and compare them to choose the best Quran learning website.
Reading Quran Basics Online Course
Quran Oasis, an online Quran school, provides a comprehensive “Reading Quran Basics” course for beginners striving to learn Quran reading correctly.
Our staff of Quran teachers are highly-qualified and experienced and have graduated from Al-Azhar University in Egypt. They have many years of experience in teaching Arabic online and Quran online to non-Arabic speakers.
In the Reading Quran Basics course, learn how Arabic letters are linked together or separated, how to read words, then short sentences and long sentences. Also, you will be able to read Arabic supplications.
Our live tutors also will train you on the Quran phonetics. They will qualify you to master reading the small Quranic Surahs.
Do you want your kids to learn more about Online Arabic Classes? Sign up for Quran Oasis’s Online Arabic Classes program and watch them dive deeper into the Quran science and learn the Holy Book of Allah.
Online Quran tuition learning can be challenging if you’re seeking it for your kids. Quran Oasis offers you a wide variety of topics to teach your children online.
Whether it’s Quran online, Arabic online, Tajweed, Ijazah, tafsir, Qirat, tajwid al Quran and Islamic Studies. Quran Oasis has your back with professional Quran tutors who are willing to go further with your kids’ education. With an attractive interface and well-structured lessons,